The viscera of a dead deer.
- ‘Which is just as well because once a deer is shot, the gamekeeper must carry out the gralloch, or disembowelling.’
Disembowel (a deer that has been shot)
disembowel, eviscerate, draw, dress, clean, remove the innards from, remove the guts fromView synonyms
- ‘And certainly there is enough gralloching, skinning and exposure of internal organs to keep a medium-sized butcher's premises awash with blood.’
- ‘A stag is always gralloched before the carcass is taken down the mountain.’
- ‘The deer are always bled and gralloched immediately after killing.’
- ‘The current legislation allows deer stalking in infected areas, but the deer carcase must be gralloched [emptied] and skinned where shot.’
Mid 19th century: from Scottish Gaelic grealach ‘entrails’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.