One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A policy of gradual reform rather than sudden change or revolution.
- ‘‘Given the Chinese authorities' preference for gradualism in economic policy, further small rate rises are on the cards, ‘he said.’’
- ‘If China does opt for gradualism, a wider band and a switch to a currency basket might do the trick.’
- ‘Another issue concerning historical change is that of gradualism as opposed to revolution.’
- ‘Indeed, it can be argued that a policy of gradualism has served the kingdom well.’
- ‘These principles included a commitment to gradualism, which called for persuasion and education rather than revolution to achieve socialism.’
- ‘In 1903 he joined the Fabians and, discontented with their excessive gradualism, quit them after just a few years.’
- ‘Is this because they have now been won round to the logic of gradualism, and realise that independence is not going to happen over night?’
- ‘Moreover, counter to the positive effects of unlimited application of airpower, the gradualism of Allied Force may well be the norm for future coalition conflicts.’
- ‘The author argues for gradualism in change, rather than revolutionary overthrow of current systems.’
- ‘The gradualism of government reorganization frustrated expectations and more radical political and social models pushed the Italian states to the crisis of war and revolution.’
- ‘The layers of architecture spanned almost a century and with an impeccable gradualism constantly changed.’
- ‘For a preference for gradualism implies that these other considerations are more important than liberty.’
- ‘The main difference between China's economic reform and the reform in Russia is that China is taking a path of gradualism.’
- 1.1Biology The hypothesis that evolution proceeds chiefly by the accumulation of gradual changes (in contrast to the punctuationist model).
- ‘For Dawkins, gradualism musts also fit the empirical facts, and the empirical facts on extinctions, speciation and periods of relative stasis are mounting.’
- ‘Despite incontrovertible and growing evidence that there were distinct eras of different creatures, the scientific community embraced the idea of gradualism.’
- ‘Punctuated equilibrium contradicts the previously held theory of evolutionary gradualism, and certainly raises questions about adaptation, selection and survival of the fittest.’
- ‘Darwinian gradualism and a growing emphasis on large populations accounted for the origins of species.’
- ‘The theory, as it was originally formulated, combined gradualism with sudden and relatively rapid bursts of evolutionary change.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.