One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Having or showing a selfish desire for something; greedy.
grasping, greedy, rapacious, insatiable, yearning, acquisitive, desirous, possessive, selfishView synonyms
- ‘Yesterday, everyone seemed to be stupid and grabby.’
- ‘When trademark holders get greedy and grabby, we need to speak out, we need to protest - the important word in ‘intellectual property’ isn't property, it's intellectual.’
- ‘We all get more and more grabby and increasing numbers of people want a piece of it.’
- ‘We left the meeting exhausted, exhilarated, and dreaming of when we'd get our grubby, grabby mitts on some final code.’
- ‘This was supposed to be a caring decade in reaction to the grabby, selfish Eighties, but in fact it was the period when spin, gloss and make-over became words of excited approval, and led us to where we are today.’
- ‘I have felt that asking for money is grabby and materialistic and very opposed to all the qualities I am trying to imbue.’
- ‘Seven weekly dictators grind us down with their controlling, grabby personalities.’
- ‘But I can see in her performances, interviews and general demeanour that she is still the loud, selfish, grabby person she was back then.’
- 1.1 Attracting attention; arousing people's interest.‘a grabby angle on a news story’
- ‘This uncertainty continues across to a grabby adjacent image of a huge, overpowdered, ageing face, smiling behind a veil, encountered on Fifth Avenue.’
- ‘It's full of grabby descriptions and witty, off-the-cuff dialogue.’
- ‘The TV show, a soapy black comedy about the inhabitants of a suburban cul-de-sac, features a grabby blend of sex and mystery.’
- ‘The pace and tone of a newspaper must be set by lively graphics, grabby photos and imaginative use of type.’
- ‘She'sn't obtuse, but she's proven time and again that she'd sooner go for a simple, grabby lyric than one that actually said something.’
- ‘Adding to that is the fact that the song is sequenced at #3 on the album, typically a place for really grabby singles.’
- ‘It's vivid, refulgent work, and a perfect introduction to a charging score that starts out bold and grabby and never lets up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.