One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The official residence of a governor, especially in a colony or Commonwealth state that regards the British monarch as head of state.
- ‘Tasmania's Government House is today regarded as one of the best Vice-Regal residences in the Commonwealth.’
- ‘As home of the Governor, Government House plays an important role in the public life of Queensland.’
- ‘The Governor and his Lady moved into Government House in 1805, with further work continuing on the house for years after.’
- ‘Their Honours hosted afternoon tea at Government House, in celebration of the official 80th birthday of the Queen.’
- ‘The swearing in of the Ministry will take place on Monday afternoon, 26 November 2001, at Government House, Canberra.’
Government House/ˈɡəvə(r)mənt hous/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.