One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A market town in the Netherlands, just north-east of Rotterdam; population 70,857 (2008).
A flat round cheese with a yellow rind, originally made in the town of Gouda in the Netherlands.
- ‘Be it Swiss or Gouda, any type of cheese will do the trick.’
- ‘At lunchtime, however, it seemed essential to restrict ourselves to salad and cheese (there is a remarkably good cheese manufacturer creating Kenyan Gouda outside Nairobi), in order to be able to do justice to the full works come dinner.’
- ‘The state is home to the nation's largest Brie and Gouda/Edam cheese plants.’
- ‘The cheese courses, from Pierre Robert to Gouda with apple-and-maple strudel, enchanted even those at the table who eschew anything more complex than a wheel of Brie.’
- ‘Then I topped a gargantuan sesame seed bagel with a layer of creamy butter and a thick chunk of Gouda before biting into it.’
- ‘They include the Elite range of Edam, Emmentaler, Mature Cheddar, Gouda and Cheddar cheeses.’
- ‘He found a bottle of barbecue sauce, which replaced the traditional tomato sauce, then piled chicken slices, smoked Gouda cheese, mozzarella cheese, red onion and lots of cilantro on top of the dough.’
- ‘Of course, it's rare to be walking through Greenwich Village on a hot day and say to oneself: ‘I could really go for a slice of Gouda right now!’’
- ‘Some semifirm and firm cheeses, like Provolone and some Dutch Gouda, are preserved with a coating of wax.’
- ‘Paddy Jack cheeses from Ballacolla, Co Laois, had blue Brie and Camembert and an excellent two-year-old Gouda.’
- ‘If, like Josie, you crave the taste of cheese, top a slice of fibre-rich, wholemeal bread with a sliver of naturally lower-fat cheese like Gouda.’
- ‘There's a basic assortment of Dutch cheeses (aged Gouda and traditional blue cheese) and a platter of fritters served with drizzles of anise and vanilla butter.’
- ‘Edam, Gouda, and Friesland cheese all date back to the early Middle Ages.’
- ‘Optional are the array of cold cuts and assorted, imported cheese including cheddar, Parmesan, Roquefort, Gouda, Bluevein and Ememdline.’
- ‘Our Dutch Gouda, Spanish goat, and buttery Mahon were a fitting finale for such sophisticated food, a strong-enough draw to bring us back to this western frontier long after the ice-cream carts of summer have gone.’
- ‘While the oven preheats, simply chop the onions (or use frozen diced onions), shred the Gouda, grab the mozzarella, then assemble everything on the ready-to-use crust.’
- ‘In my previous experience, Dutch cheese came in two types, Edam and Gouda.’
- ‘Boasting the highest yields of milk per cow in the world, the Netherlands provides some of the world's most famous cheeses, including Edam and Gouda.’
- ‘Then he stands up and proceeds to shave very thin slices of cheese from a large wheel of Gouda.’
- ‘The fondue might be bacon and Cheddar, or Zamorano with little bits of chorizo, or one of several fondues du jour, like Gouda mixed with Guinness Stout.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.