Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Very light and thin.‘the gossamer-thin spring-roll pastry’‘the gossamer-thin muscle that controls eye movement’
sheer, fine, ultra-fine, delicate, light, lightweight, thin, insubstantial, floaty, flimsy, filmy, silken, chiffony, gossamer, gossamery, gossamer-thin, gossamer-like, gauzy, gauzelike, cobwebby, featheryView synonyms
- ‘Carmelina handed the Signorina her bag and a gossamer-thin wrap.’
- ‘To my left is a plate that contains six chunks of cheese, each wrapped in a gossamer-thin scarf of prosciutto.’
- ‘Kudos must be given for the gossamer-thin cuts of mushroom beneath slippery roasted peppers and wide shavings of Parmesan.’
- ‘The bosses have ordered hundreds of packets of gossamer-thin rubber gloves.’
- ‘The gossamer-thin spring-roll pastry can be bought from Oriental food stores and some speciality food halls and delis.’
- ‘The sky above was a reddish blue color, with a few gossamer-thin clouds scuttling along at high speed.’
- ‘These gossamer-thin, shimmery strands can also be observed caught or draped lightly on trees, fences, etc.’
- ‘Science fiction became fact as researchers launched two large solar sails, successfully deploying the gossamer-thin sheets in space during a brief rocket flight.’
- ‘Strands of hair were laid on gossamer-thin tissue paper and then a small palette knife was used to simultaneously glue them down and flatten them.’
- 1.1(of an account) weak and unconvincing or unsubstantial.‘the gossamer-thin and silly plot’
- ‘The book is loved more for its images than its gossamer-thin tale about a boy's steam-powered quest to meet Santa Claus.’
- ‘A gossamer-thin story about two lovers who have a spat is drowned in flaky, candy-colored special effects that look curiously old-fashioned.’
- ‘It is an enjoyable 90 minutes, but gossamer-thin, no more than a series of songs strung together by a thin script that tells the story efficiently but with no richness.’
- ‘The story quickly becomes gossamer-thin around them, leaving the other insubstantial characters to float away.’
- ‘The story line is gossamer-thin, centering around Margie's unrequited love for the singer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.