One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Each of three sisters, Stheno, Euryale, and Medusa, with snakes for hair, who had the power to turn anyone who looked at them to stone.
- ‘It was always my favorite, to read about Cyclopes, gorgons, heroes, and goddesses.’
- ‘He goes on a quest to kill the gorgon Medusa and is helped by Hermes and Aphrodite.’
- ‘Soon the holy image of the gorgon Medusa as an ancient symbol of female power and wisdom became totally unacceptable.’
- ‘The gorgons were three sisters, only one of whom, Medusa, was mortal.’
- ‘Athena invented the flute in order to imitate the cries of gorgons after the death of Medusa.’
- 1.1 A fierce, frightening, or repulsive woman.
- ‘As in Dickens, these are gorgons you love to hate: You laugh at how they appall you.’
- ‘The words just slipped out; he certainly didn't mean to be a smart-ass - not when she was in this mood - but she gave him the gorgon's glare anyway.’
- ‘8pm - mother adopts persona of drunken gorgon from hell.’
- ‘In fact, she was a wonderful contrast to some of the archive gorgons we had encountered over the years in military and political archives.’
- ‘Politically loathsome as the character may be, the actress found herself inventing dialogue to humanise the gorgon.’
- ‘I drink expensive drinks, eat at chi-chi over-priced LES restaurants, shop like a gorgon from hell on a day-pass, and hell, I SMOKE.’
- ‘She is a blonde gorgon just back from the hairdresser, and with a powerful voice to boot.’
- ‘The husky voice, the delivery, the winking humor, and the sly references to acting conventions gone by all suggested a bona-fide artiste, not just a painted gorgon.’
- ‘In this case, since we were helping an office full of nice people, it was inevitable that we would run into a terrifying, multiheaded gorgon sooner or later.’
- ‘Under the influence of all sorts of things, including real-life doctor drugs, I turned into a voracious drooling gorgon.’
- ‘However, because everyone else in the show talks about her like some terrifying gorgon that needs to be beheaded, Niles' invisible ex-wife casts a disproportional shadow over the entire series.’
- ‘I bobbed my head around like I was a king pin ‘Your not a girl you're a gorgon.’’
Via Latin from Greek Gorgō, from gorgos ‘terrible’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.