One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The Gypsy name for a non-Gypsy.
- ‘To say that all Travellers are thieves would be the same as saying that all gorgios (non-Travellers) are murderers because a few of them have committed murder.’
- ‘However much some aspects of their social life and means of livelihood may overlap with their own, the Irish and some of the Scottish Travellers are gorgios, not Romanichals.’
- ‘It has been asserted, I believe, by various gorgio writers, that they have everything in common, and that there is a common stock out of which every one takes what he needs; this is quite a mistake, however.’
- ‘They do not object to the gorgios looking on, but they would rather they did not join in the merriment.’
- ‘I had no education and no knowledge of ‘gorgio’ civilisation, and I grew up wild as the birds, frolicsome as the lambs, and as difficult to catch as the rabbits.’
From Romany gorjo.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.