Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A Mexican flatbread made from cornmeal and stuffed with meat, cheese, vegetables, or a sweet filling.
- ‘The house combination plate offers a gordita, a soft taco and a quesadilla.’
- ‘The chlupas is a gordita that is fried and then baked giving it a crusty shell.’
- ‘If you get the combo platter number three ($6.95), you can get a gordita, a doblada, and a sope, and then fight it out with yourself over which version is your favorite.’
- ‘While an effort to drive dinner sales with Grande Meals was short lived, the chain bounced back with a greasier version of its Gordita known as the Chalupa, which has provided subsequent line extensions and halted the decline in same-store sales.’
- ‘Their main menu items are gorditas, hand-sized, hollowed out, thick, fat corn tortillas - much like a pita pocket - filled with your choice of cheese, vegetables, meat, and condiments.’
Mexican Spanish, literally little fat one.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.