One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bottom-dwelling anglerfish.
Family Lophiidae: several species, in particular Lophius americanus of North American watersAlso called monkfish
- ‘Since the goosefish is found very deep in the ocean it is a cold water fish.’
- ‘According to the study, some 8,600 tons of blackfin goosefish, roughly 15% of the total population of the species, were caught in just one season, in 2001.’
- ‘A curious and unwary fish would become a meal when the goosefish inhaled and quickly engulfed its prey.’
- ‘The goosefish is practically invisible lying flattened, with its darkly marbled skin matching the bottom color and the outline of its body obliterated by a fringe of branched skin flaps.’
- ‘In addition to being squat and rather ugly looking, goosefishes have a ‘fishing lure’ on top of their head.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.