Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A military marching step in which the legs are not bent at the knee.
- ‘Soon the guard - about half a dozen soldiers and NCOs in all - marched out with an extremely rapid step and exaggerated movements; they came to a halt with a massive goose-step.’
- ‘‘Our house was a mile up the road from the Village and we could hear the Nazis marching in goose-step on the cobblestones,’ recalls Linn.’
- ‘If you want to learn how the traditional Prussian goose-step works you have to watch British television, because in Germany in the younger generation - even in my generation - nobody knows how to perform it.’
March with a goose step.‘soldiers goose-stepped outside’
- ‘The footwear is far from uniform, and it is entertaining to see a couple of 15 year old girls trying to goose-step in platform boots.’
- ‘Compton, jacked up on beer and adrenaline, goose-stepped around the parking lot yelling, ‘White power!’’
- ‘And with that, they saluted and goose-stepped out of the room.’
- ‘On depositing me at my door, he saluted with what sounded like a New Zealand rugby team war-cry, turned about-face and goose-stepped back to his booth.’
- ‘As you can see, Alex is pleased enough to be moved to goose-step around her crib.’
- ‘In the late 1980s, a chief justice ‘took his trousers off, balanced a shoe on his head and goose-stepped around the high-court car park chanting pro-government slogans.’’
- ‘One by one, red-coated soldiers goose-stepped in.’
- ‘About a hundred goose-stepping soldiers lead the way, and through bouts of equatorial heat and showers, delegations from seemingly every town and organization in the nation march by with banners saluting the president and ruling party.’
goose step/ˈɡo͞os ˌstep/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.