Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Equivalent to ten raised to the power of a googol.
- ‘Through this method, a wild guess at the Möbius value of googolplex + 1 is possible, without a complete factorization.’
- ‘Consequently, finding a specific number among the googolplex available can be as challenging as locating a particular piece of hay in a haystack.’
- ‘Regarding other large numbers, neither googolplex nor infinity return calculator results.’
- ‘Even bigger than a googol, according to Kasner, is a googolplex, a 1 followed by a googol zeros.’
- ‘Here's an example, out of a possible googolplex of similar instances.’
1940s: from googol + -plex as in multiplex.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.