One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American Foolish or harmlessly eccentric.
zany, madcap, offbeat, quirky, outlandish, eccentric, idiosyncratic, surreal, ridiculous, nonsensical, crazy, absurd, insane, far out, fantastic, bizarre, peculiar, weird, odd, strange, cranky, freakishView synonyms
- ‘Along the way each team will run into wacky slapstick, encounter goofy characters, and bop to some very '80s rock and roll.’
- ‘Funny links to goofy stories seem to be included now only to relieve the tension.’
- ‘There's a goofy, non-sequitur nonsense to it all.’
- ‘For someone as serious as her, she sure was strange in a goofy way.’
- ‘Tremors is unabashedly goofy nonsense, and I mean that in the very best sense.’
- ‘He laughed and told his father about the crazy foreigner making goofy faces.’
- ‘Vocal tracks fare better, presenting skittish avant pop with goofy arrangements and nonsense lyrics.’
- ‘His facial expression never changed from its goofy, surreal state.’
- ‘His over abundance of cowboy enthusiasm is funny and goofy, a combination of Jack Palance from City Slickers and Jim Carrey.’
- ‘He had more of a mysterious look about him, but he was playful and goofy without being too crazy.’
- ‘Oddly, he cannot run in human form, instead he walks with a strange, goofy prance of sorts, head and body tilted back, and led by his tiny feet.’
- ‘Basically, I'd look up things that I thought were funny or goofy, and take parts of the songs that I thought were good.’
- ‘In fact, it seems a little rushed at first, but the time is well saved when we start to meet all the characters, and trot alongside this gentle love story full of poignant moments and goofy funny bits.’
- ‘The ‘just thinking about a joke I heard’ excuse only works so many times to explain away the weird goofy smile on your face.’
- ‘His strange mannerisms and goofy asides are amusing, and he has a comedian's sensibility for wanting to keep the audience at home interested.’
- ‘The cast was goofy and funny while and the action plentiful and rollicking.’
- ‘This man is not only hot and sexy, intelligent and wise, crazy and goofy, but he's also a completely giving person who thinks before he speaks and listens to more than what you say.’
- ‘Here is a film so silly, so goofy, and so funny that you just sit back and enjoy it for what it is: pure comedy.’
- ‘Sometimes he would make weird and goofy faces at his opponents during the fight.’
- ‘It's funny, it's goofy, it's more lightweight then a rice cake.’
2(in surfing and other board sports) with the right leg in front of the left on the board.
- ‘The goofy footer belted the right-handers on his backhand, collecting two eight plus scores.’
- ‘Neither found any great waves or big scores, but ‘Parko’ managed to maintain a slender lead over his goofy foot opponent.’
- ‘The goofy footer looked completely at ease and together with fellow countrymen Mick Lowe and Parkinson, was one of only three from the top 10 to survive the day.’
- ‘This weekend the world will finally find out whether goofy footed or regular footed skateboarders reign supreme.’
- ‘Hawaiian goofy footer Fred Patacchia said that if the surf is good, all the trialists have a chance to win.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.