One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A foolish or stupid person (often used as a general term of abuse)
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘I liked her because she liked me and didn't think I was a goofus.’
- ‘Avery was the burly curly-haired twinkle-eyed guy, and Burns was the lanky goofus.’
- ‘Apparently, these goofuses actually expected the applause of a grateful public, but instead folks are appalled at what they are trying to do to us.’
- ‘She hadn't been on a date for over a year, and the good doctor was infinitely more sophisticated and charming than all the goofuses she had been with combined.’
- ‘Even now, years after Vince McMahon himself openly admitted pro wrestling's choreographed, there's still the odd goofus who acts like this is still a revelation.’
1920s: based on goof.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.