Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Soft and sticky.
adhesive, adherent, gummedView synonyms
- ‘The cakes did rise, but there was a gooey soft spot in the center portion of each, just as the recipe intended.’
- ‘Abbey freely indulged in two of the huge, gooey chocolate chip cookies.’
- ‘The sticky toffee pud was hot and gooey and sent off a welcome dose of serotonin in the brain.’
- ‘Prepare everything 48 hours in advance to allow the sugary chocolate to become gooey and sticky and begin to seep into the layers of creamy cranberry.’
- ‘He moved his hand to pick it up and felt something sticky and gooey.’
- ‘But then she started picking up fast food and eating gooey desserts instead of preparing healthy dinners.’
- ‘The thought of the soft middle, crunchy rim, and gooey chocolate morsels was enough to motivate me to win that bet.’
- ‘Alternatively, give ordinary croissants a makeover and stuff them with smoked salmon and gooey soft cheese.’
- ‘I was starving, so was pleased that my sag aloo starter - a deliciously red, gooey mess of soft potato pieces in spices - was a decent size.’
- ‘With that Andrew took out a Chewy bar from his pocket unwrapped it, and bit off a huge gooey, sticky, delicious chunk of it.’
- ‘They were wonderfully soft and filled with bits of gooey caramel and chocolate.’
- ‘Tammy whined while stuffing a warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie in her mouth.’
- ‘Your vertebrae are separated by soft, flexible disks that have a tough outer shell and a soft, gooey center.’
- ‘It has a nice crumbly crust, while the inside is 100% melty gooey chocolate goodness.’
- ‘I turned my back for a second and the pan boiled over leaving the stove top in a sticky, gooey mess.’
- ‘The pastries lined up on the top showing sticky buns, gooey cinnamon rolls, Danishes of any style and pie tarts.’
- ‘It had a tendency to mix with clay-rich mud to form a gooey, sticky gunk that adhered to everything.’
- ‘Pudding, however, was a triumph, with Lucinda's chocolate fondant being a gooey delight.’
- ‘Part of the hesitation in making caramel corn is the sticky, gooey mess that remains once you've finished making it.’
- ‘I can particularly recommend the banana tatin, which came with homemade ice-cream, or the gloriously rich and gooey chocolate pudding.’
- 1.1Mawkishly sentimental.‘you can love somebody without going all gooey’
- ‘First you're led to believe this is a slapstick comedy, then comes the whole gooey, mushy angle.’
- ‘Whilst not one to get sentimental about babies, it was hard not to become gooey and emotional at the site of these two tiny creatures.’
- ‘The woman's face melted into a gooey, hopeless romantic expression and her eyes remained focused on me.’
- ‘Everyone knows Dinah doesn't go gooey over babies, but I must say how impressed I am with the Zutano line of clothing for wee humans.’
- ‘Ted gets ever more gooey over Emmett, who is initially unreceptive but ultimately smitten.’
- ‘There isn't a whole lot of gooey sentimentality and no symbolic Robert Frost poems.’
- ‘The writers juggled a nice mix of comedy, drama and romance pretty well, only occasionally stumbling into gooey sentimentality.’
- ‘Some say it's gooey and sentimental but I think it's beautiful.’
- ‘I lost sight of Austin when some drippy, gooey slow song started to play.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.