Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Considerable in size or quantity.‘we ran up a goodly bar bill’
fairly large, sizeable, substantial, considerable, not inconsiderable, respectable, significant, largish, biggish, decent, decent-sized, generous, handsomebonnytidy, not to be sneezed at, seriousView synonyms
- ‘Considering that Switzerland spends a goodly span of time every year under snow, Christian Roeschli began to think of warmer climes in which to continue his life.’
- ‘The trouble is, if I have an office here, it would save my fledgling business a goodly sum of money, as I'd be able to use the space rent-free, and would only have to pay the cost of materials for refurbishing the office.’
- ‘Following the Great Depression, when huge chunks of the Canadian population - including a goodly number of the formerly rich - were thrown into poverty, we changed our approach to such things.’
- ‘The movie version of the musical of Little Shop of Horrors was called Little Shop of Horrors, causing a goodly amount of confusion, especially in the home video market.’
- ‘Almost every party game these days comes with a goodly share of surprise gifts that might range all the way from key chains and cuff links, to stationery items and kitchen utensils.’
- ‘And so it was that our canoe slipped gently from beneath us, but not without first lurching sideways to let a goodly amount of the Wye flood into it such that it sank a foot or two beneath the surface of the river shortly after bidding us adieu.’
- ‘It may take us a goodly while to get this matter done.’
- ‘For every litre of petrol which pours from the pumps, 62p is levied by the government and that represents a goodly income for the government.’
- ‘The brownies vary in size from a few ounces to goodly specimens of 2lb or more.’
- ‘My sister's been storing it for me for the past couple of months and she's getting antsy about getting it out of her house - understandable, since it takes up a goodly chunk of space.’
- ‘This would be about 15 years ago when, in a former life, I was fortunate enough to be spending a goodly number of my working days at the Lake Nona club just outside Orlando in Florida.’
- ‘From the expression on the faces of many of them I knew some professor had dragged his class down to the museum and a goodly number of the students wanted to be anywhere but looking at old books.’
- ‘The room was a goodly size, and books filled shelves reaching, in places, from floor to ceiling.’
- ‘I spent a goodly proportion of this afternoon upstairs at Artichoke, directly under the roof of the building, wrapping prints for the Bath Affordable Art Fair.’
- ‘Not much seems to have been written about this so far, but look for a goodly amount in the near future, as more people are brought out and the stories they tell become common knowledge.’
- ‘The cousin stated that the hotel was clean and well run, the food excellent, of goodly quantity.’
- ‘After all, before fighting games were popular, a goodly portion of arcade games were shooters, racing games, and side-scrolling platformers.’
- ‘The holidays were fantastic - catching up with a veritable swag of rellies, opening a goodly haul of pressies and gorging myself on many a big dinner and barbeque meal.’
- ‘But don't mind that - Helen puts you within 45 minutes of most of the trout in Georgia, and a goodly share of North Carolina's.’
- ‘A friend of mine has a book which was published commercially in Malaya and which isn't even listed on Amazon, but he has been able to sell a goodly number in his local bookshops, despite that.’
2archaic Attractive, excellent, or admirable.wonderful, marvellous, magnificent, superb, sublime, spectacular, lovely, excellent, fine, delightful, enjoyable, pleasurableView synonyms
Old English gōdlic (see good, -ly).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.