One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Expressing good wishes on meeting or parting during the morning.
- ‘I'm just going over there to greet a fellow student good morning, that's all.’
- ‘This was said without a good morning, or welcome, and in the tone of voice teachers use for persistently evil children.’
- ‘If a fella says good morning to you, say good morning to him.’
- ‘I said good morning, not knowing who he was, but he introduced himself and we chatted a bit.’
- ‘It was Sunday morning and like any Sunday morning Mark or Judy would bounce through the door to wish them good morning.’
- ‘With a spring in her step she bade me good morning.’
- ‘Steve gave his sister an uneasy look as he muttered a good morning.’
- ‘Nicky went on his way and I headed in to bid Larry good morning.’
- ‘He kissed her good morning, made them each coffee, and recently had started getting the newspaper for them.’
- ‘When you go out there are people of all ages walking the streets, from infants to pensioners, and everyone will either say hello or good morning.’
- ‘As they pass in the pink-walled lobby, they pause, make eye contact, and wish you good morning like they really mean it.’
- ‘Ever the gentleman Joe offered her his hand as he wished her good morning and helped her down the last flight.’
- ‘The maid wished him a good morning, to which he thanked her for breakfast and dismissed her.’
- ‘Jessie scowled at his feet and didn't say good morning back.’
- ‘Well, good morning everyone, and good morning to you, Mr Banyard.’
- ‘However, most people shuffle past nowadays without a hello or good morning.’
- ‘I did the ‘neighbourly’ thing, wished her good morning and went back up stairs.’
- ‘I would be walking down the corridor and wouldn't even get a good morning.’
- ‘He walked into Stein's lounge on Tuesday morning, bidding good morning to everyone who lined his route to the top table.’
- ‘Staff who didn't try to be invisible, but instead smiled and nodded good morning as they went about their work.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.