One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not easily irritated or made angry.
equable, even-tempered, imperturbable, unexcitableView synonyms
- ‘He was a good-tempered, polite little boy.’
- ‘All the customers were different, and as he was a new waiter, he didn't know how to tell the difference between a good-tempered and a bad-tempered one.’
- ‘But, he was very loving, and hardly got upset, always good-tempered.’
- ‘‘She's a lovely, good-tempered cremello filly,’ he said, a hint of pride in his voice.’
- ‘Ramsden is a good-tempered truth-seeker, not a malevolent muckraker.’
- ‘She is a lively, good tempered dog and anyone can quickly become fond of her!’
- ‘She has also trained herself to meet the standards of a graceful, understanding, good-tempered and virtuous wife.’
- ‘She had no doubt of Harriet's happiness with any good-tempered man; but with him, and in the home he offered, there would be the hope of more, of security, stability, and improvement.’
- ‘Three months after the death, the family are still struggling to accept that the man they knew as quiet, hard-working and good-tempered had been killed so brutally.’
- ‘He was supposed to be calm, the one who was always good-tempered and understanding.’
- ‘This pony was an absolute pet - chestnut with a white blaze, very good-tempered, but with spirit, and of course I said ‘Yes’.’
- ‘He was always cheerful, optimistic and remarkably good-tempered, and felt that life was to be enjoyed to the full.’
- ‘Elizabeth and her aunt and uncle learn that Darcy is, according to his housekeeper, a kind, generous, good-tempered man.’
- ‘Known as ‘Soldier’ or ‘Titus’, the cheerful Oates was a quiet, good-tempered individual noted for his laconic wit.’
- ‘A generally good-tempered match exploded briefly at the end of the first half with a brawl involving virtually every player on the pitch.’
- ‘Parker's big-bellied appearance and his good-tempered and kind-hearted manner make him seem better suited to the role of English landlord than highly successful producer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.