One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not easily irritated or made angry.
equable, even-tempered, imperturbable, unexcitableView synonyms
- ‘Parker's big-bellied appearance and his good-tempered and kind-hearted manner make him seem better suited to the role of English landlord than highly successful producer.’
- ‘This pony was an absolute pet - chestnut with a white blaze, very good-tempered, but with spirit, and of course I said ‘Yes’.’
- ‘‘She's a lovely, good-tempered cremello filly,’ he said, a hint of pride in his voice.’
- ‘He was a good-tempered, polite little boy.’
- ‘She is a lively, good tempered dog and anyone can quickly become fond of her!’
- ‘Known as ‘Soldier’ or ‘Titus’, the cheerful Oates was a quiet, good-tempered individual noted for his laconic wit.’
- ‘She has also trained herself to meet the standards of a graceful, understanding, good-tempered and virtuous wife.’
- ‘He was supposed to be calm, the one who was always good-tempered and understanding.’
- ‘All the customers were different, and as he was a new waiter, he didn't know how to tell the difference between a good-tempered and a bad-tempered one.’
- ‘Elizabeth and her aunt and uncle learn that Darcy is, according to his housekeeper, a kind, generous, good-tempered man.’
- ‘He was always cheerful, optimistic and remarkably good-tempered, and felt that life was to be enjoyed to the full.’
- ‘She had no doubt of Harriet's happiness with any good-tempered man; but with him, and in the home he offered, there would be the hope of more, of security, stability, and improvement.’
- ‘But, he was very loving, and hardly got upset, always good-tempered.’
- ‘Ramsden is a good-tempered truth-seeker, not a malevolent muckraker.’
- ‘A generally good-tempered match exploded briefly at the end of the first half with a brawl involving virtually every player on the pitch.’
- ‘Three months after the death, the family are still struggling to accept that the man they knew as quiet, hard-working and good-tempered had been killed so brutally.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.