Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Of ample size; fairly large.‘a good-sized garden’
large, sizeable, of considerable size, substantial, considerable, great, huge, immense, enormous, extensive, colossal, massive, mammoth, vast, prodigious, tremendous, gigantic, giant, monumental, mighty, stupendous, gargantuan, elephantine, titanic, epic, mountainous, megalithic, monstrous, brobdingnagianView synonyms
- ‘The west-facing rear garden has a good-sized lawn with numerous trees and shrubs.’
- ‘There is side access to the south-facing back garden which has a good-sized lawn and a patio area.’
- ‘You have enough male and female crew members to start a good-sized outpost.’
- ‘Most of the townhouses at Eastham Court are laid out in small courtyards, with most having good-sized back gardens.’
- ‘The living room had a good-sized TV, with a computer and bookshelf in the back.’
- ‘I took over a good-sized firearm retail store three months ago and have run into a lot of shoddy products.’
- ‘The potential to convert the attic as well as ample parking and a good-sized back garden adds to its appeal.’
- ‘Walking through a set of French doors, you came into this small room with a good-sized table in the middle.’
- ‘When the flash had dissipated, Cecil saw a small indent about the size of a good-sized door in the wall of darkness.’
- ‘To starboard there is a good-sized galley and adequate navigation station.’
- ‘There was also a good-sized wooden packing crate and other smaller boxes.’
- ‘Pulling out one of the base cabinets, Rylie and I found a good-sized pile of dog food under there.’
- ‘Under the sink she found a fairly good-sized bucket and filled it with warm water.’
- ‘There would be plenty of room for the new owners to extend while still retaining a good-sized rear garden.’
- ‘Out back they have a good-sized vegetable garden, and a small flower garden.’
- ‘It was a good-sized building; I heard a lot of the students actually live there so it would be of a good size.’
- ‘It stands in a good-sized plot of land, with gardens to the front enclosed by hedges and a wall.’
- ‘A good-sized group of supporters made the journey south and made their presence felt at different stages of the game.’
- ‘Lily bulbs are quite large and will need a good-sized pot for best results.’
- ‘It was obvious that to produce an effective show, a good-sized group rather than a single plant was needed.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.