Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Amorously adoring.‘making goo-goo eyes at him’
lustful, sexual, erotic, amatory, ardentView synonyms
- ‘I could see being a teenager and probably watching that show, but for me now, watching all these high-schoolers go goo-goo over all these high-school girls wasn't something I was into.’
- ‘And it thinks it's romantic - but bringing a male and female together and letting them kiss and make goo-goo eyes at each other is hardly the basis of a good love story.’
- ‘Baseball personalities who usually are so cool in public they can freeze people in their tracks turned goo-goo eyed in the face of the audience with the President.’
- ‘So you said it with a dumb goo-goo look on your face.’
- ‘Can you two finish making goo-goo eyes at each other?’
- ‘Now she was sitting as close to the window as possible while Jake and Mindy insisted on making goo-goo eyes at each other before starting off to the lake.’
- ‘I can't stop making goo-goo eyes at him, and he can't stop falling for them.’
- ‘You were giving him goo-goo eyes the other day and I'll bet money that the main reason you completely told Sam off at breakfast was because he'd insulted Kier.’
- ‘I guess you can't say a whole lot when you're making goo-goo eyes, anyway.’
- ‘Throughout, Farrell and Leto make goo-goo eyes at one another and endlessly profess their love, but it's all safely and platonically handled.’
- ‘Just like miniature ponies, scale model airplanes and Mini-Coopers, cool, tiny things simply make you want to go all wiggly and goo-goo.’
- ‘I saw you giving him goo-goo eyes at the mess hall this morning.’
- ‘In fact, the way they were making goo-goo eyes at each other, it was more like a Love Club!’
- ‘I saw you making your goo-goo romantic eyes at that chick in the baseball tee.’
- ‘She tries to be careful, but she's fingering that thing every other minute and glancing over to make goo-goo eyes at Hawk.’
- ‘The three of them were making goo-goo eyes at Kyle.’
- ‘I'll tell you what that was about, you were making goo-goo eyes at someone you didn't even know right in front of you boyfriend, and on a happier note, I have to ask what was that about?’
- ‘I looked over at her to see her making goo-goo eyes.’
- ‘Okay, so maybe I read a little too much into Nancy's goo-goo eyes.’
- ‘Hey, I'm not gonna give you good pitches like that if you're gonna just give me goo-goo eyes.’
2(of speech or vocal sounds) childish or meaningless.‘making soothing goo-goo noises’
Early 20th century: possibly related to goggle.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.