One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The bearer of a gonfalon; a standard-bearer.
- ‘The processional begins with the all-college gonfalonier, who leads in the faculty, followed by the Schools of Arts and Sciences, Education and Professional Studies gonfaloniers, who lead in the students.’
- ‘Fifty thousand citizens, along with Nobel laureates, European and Italian MPs and gonfaloniers from hundreds of cities, ask that Operation Survival, to save 5 million lives, be launched immediately.’
- ‘The names of the gonfaloniers will be listed in the program.’
- ‘It is borne at the head of all university processions by a senior faculty member known as the gonfalonier.’
- ‘To be selected to be a gonfalonier is considered an honor, as their academic department chooses the person elected to carry it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.