A banner or pennant, especially one with streamers, hung from a crossbar.
banner, standard, ensign, pennant, pennon, banderole, streamer, jackView synonyms
- ‘We contacted Southern Tailors for quotes on gonfalons because of a recommendation from another university.’
- ‘The hand-stitched, silk gonfalons are black and gold, reflecting the university's official colors.’
- ‘If the ceremony is held indoors due to inclement weather, the gonfalons will not be carried.’
- ‘On every balcony and at every window are flags, banners, and gonfalons in a riot of colors to rock your senses.’
- ‘Every academic major has its own gonfalon in which certain colors represent different departments.’
Late 16th century: from Italian gonfalone, from a Germanic compound whose second element is related to vane.