Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of hormones secreted by the pituitary which stimulate the activity of the gonads.
- ‘Radiologic studies typically include pelvic ultrasound; laboratory data should be obtained regarding pertinent gonadotropins and other hormone levels.’
- ‘Testosterone is often linked with virility but treatment with the hormone can suppress the production of sperm by reducing levels of hormones called gonadotropins.’
- ‘The existence of a positive relationship between coital activities and both gonadotropins and androgens indicates the importance of these compounds to healthy vaginal epithelium when estrogen levels are decreased.’
- ‘The estrogen also decreases secretion of gonadotropins by the anterior pituitary, with a consequent decrease in the amount of androgens produced by the ovaries.’
- ‘These gonadotropins in turn stimulate synthesis of steroid hormones in target tissues.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.