Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A complex of vesicles and folded membranes within the cytoplasm of most eukaryotic cells, involved in secretion and intracellular transport.
- ‘Once localized in the lumen of the endoplasmic reticulum, the protein is transported in the Golgi apparatus, then exocytosed by means of intracellular vesicles.’
- ‘In all eukaryotic cells, the Golgi apparatus is a central organelle in the secretory processes.’
- ‘These findings are supported by studies on the intracellular traffic between the Golgi apparatus and the plasma membrane (correlative light-microscopy using the green fluorescent protein technology).’
- ‘The major destinations for proteins exiting the Golgi apparatus are the plasma membrane and the vacuolar system.’
- ‘These proteins were found to be essential for vesiculation at the plasma membrane and the Golgi apparatus, respectively.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.