One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A migratory northern diving duck, the male of which has a dark head with a white cheek patch and yellow eyes.
- ‘The goldeneye's white spot is between its telltale yellow eye and grey beak, rather than behind the eye.’
- ‘During migration, goldeneyes stop on large lakes and rivers to feed while they move between breeding and wintering habitats.’
- ‘Female goldeneyes lay eggs in their own nests and in the nests of other female goldeneyes.’
- ‘With her telescope I scanned the ducks and was immediately smitten by the goldeneyes.’
- ‘It was beside Henry's Fork that we skied and watched goldeneyes, mallards and trumpeter swans floating in the shallows.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.