One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The division of a line so that the whole is to the greater part as that part is to the smaller part (i.e. in a ratio of 1 to 1/2 (√5 + 1)), a proportion which is considered to be particularly pleasing to the eye.
- ‘So the phi by phi squares are themselves divided at their own golden section ratios by the side of the other overlapping square.’
- ‘Both shank and line are in turn struck through by a diagonal, recalling the harmonious proportions of a golden section.’
- ‘This golden section has some relation to basic geometry that seems to resonate with a human's sense of beauty.’
- ‘Alicia Stott made two further important discoveries relating to constructions for polyhedra related to the golden section.’
- ‘Among his most prized possessions were his books of Plato, including the Timaeus in which the mathematical ratios of the golden section are described.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.