One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A northern Eurasian and North American plover, with a gold-speckled back and black face and underparts in the breeding season.
- ‘Other birds facing tough times in Bradford include the house sparrow, the golden plover, the yellowhammer and the redshank.’
- ‘They include pine marten, wildcat, stoat and weasel as well as golden eagles, merlin, peregrine falcon, golden plover and in time black grouse and capercaillie.’
- ‘One bright aspect is new research showing that heather moorland managed for shooting is a haven for other wildlife and rare upland birds, such as black grouse, golden plovers, curlew and lapwing.’
- ‘It is the home of the lapwing, curlew, golden plover, dunlin and red grouse.’
- ‘The moorland blaze has come at a bad time for ground-nesting birds such as golden plovers, curlews, lapwings and merlins, a rare bird of prey.’
golden plover/ˈɡōldən ˈpləvər/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.