One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rapid movement of people to a newly discovered goldfield. The first major gold rush, to California in 1848–49, was followed by others in the US, Australia (1851–53), South Africa (1884), and Canada (Klondike, 1897–98).
- ‘The California gold rush prompted a frenzied mass movement of people toward the Sierra Nevada.’
- ‘News of the discovery spread rapidly, and a major gold rush was on.’
- ‘The discovery of place gold set off the California gold rush of 1849 and the rush to the Klondike in 1897.’
- ‘Serious over-hunting occurred in parts of the territory at least as early as the Klondike gold rush in 1898.’
- ‘Martin had been born in Bendigo but was moved west when his father followed the gold rush.’
- ‘I was struck by how little I'd ever known about the Klondike gold rush.’
- ‘The play examines the cause and consequences of a curse placed on a group of goldfield inhabitants during the gold rush of the 1850s.’
- ‘Times where hard, and the report sparked a gold rush to the Klondike where a few got rich and most did not.’
- ‘In early 1897, news of the Klondike gold strike reached the United States and a new gold rush was under way.’
- ‘Melbourne's foundations were built on a gold rush and the Australian city has now delivered another one.’
- ‘Even the miners of the gold rush held him in deepest respect.’
- ‘In December, 1841, they both crossed to Victoria on the Australian mainland to join the gold rush.’
- ‘In the 1850s, the nation's independence became vulnerable as a result of the gold rush in California.’
- ‘Holliday's other message is that the California gold rush was the largest mass migration of people in the history of the world.’
- ‘The California gold rush in the 1840s renewed interest in travel between the oceans.’
- ‘On the other hand, from early colonial times, and certainly from the gold rush, Australia was also known for its self-made men of wealth.’
- ‘It was built in the 1870s at the tail end of the gold rush.’
- ‘They are largely of European descent, many having settled there on the way to the California gold rush.’
- ‘It was the age of the gold rush from the Klondike to Australia.’
- ‘He had drifted to California in time for the gold rush, where he had applied an individual business sense to the problem of becoming seriously rich.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.