One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rapid movement of people to a newly discovered goldfield. The first major gold rush, to California in 1848–49, was followed by others in the US, Australia (1851–53), South Africa (1884), and Canada (Klondike, 1897–98).
- ‘It was the age of the gold rush from the Klondike to Australia.’
- ‘I was struck by how little I'd ever known about the Klondike gold rush.’
- ‘It was built in the 1870s at the tail end of the gold rush.’
- ‘Serious over-hunting occurred in parts of the territory at least as early as the Klondike gold rush in 1898.’
- ‘On the other hand, from early colonial times, and certainly from the gold rush, Australia was also known for its self-made men of wealth.’
- ‘Times where hard, and the report sparked a gold rush to the Klondike where a few got rich and most did not.’
- ‘In early 1897, news of the Klondike gold strike reached the United States and a new gold rush was under way.’
- ‘News of the discovery spread rapidly, and a major gold rush was on.’
- ‘They are largely of European descent, many having settled there on the way to the California gold rush.’
- ‘The California gold rush in the 1840s renewed interest in travel between the oceans.’
- ‘The discovery of place gold set off the California gold rush of 1849 and the rush to the Klondike in 1897.’
- ‘Melbourne's foundations were built on a gold rush and the Australian city has now delivered another one.’
- ‘In December, 1841, they both crossed to Victoria on the Australian mainland to join the gold rush.’
- ‘He had drifted to California in time for the gold rush, where he had applied an individual business sense to the problem of becoming seriously rich.’
- ‘Even the miners of the gold rush held him in deepest respect.’
- ‘The play examines the cause and consequences of a curse placed on a group of goldfield inhabitants during the gold rush of the 1850s.’
- ‘In the 1850s, the nation's independence became vulnerable as a result of the gold rush in California.’
- ‘Martin had been born in Bendigo but was moved west when his father followed the gold rush.’
- ‘Holliday's other message is that the California gold rush was the largest mass migration of people in the history of the world.’
- ‘The California gold rush prompted a frenzied mass movement of people toward the Sierra Nevada.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.