One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Gold that has been beaten into a very thin sheet, used in gilding.
- ‘Participants will prepare a panel or wall which they will work on over several days and will learn how to prepare paints, pigments, and gold leaf for application and ornament.’
- ‘Two final works from the Glassell collection are wood carvings covered with gold paint rather than gold leaf.’
- ‘Each bowl, coated with copper, silver, or gold leaf, contained beeswax to a depth of several inches, with a small trough incised at the center.’
- ‘The modern gilders' tip is a brush made from long hairs set between two pieces of card, but earlier gold leaf was slightly thicker and so could be handled using a piece of card or parchment.’
- ‘All three statues use a layer of lacquer between the wood and the exterior coat of gold leaf or pigment.’
- ‘In the new works, Bradford has also started using paint and gold leaf, as well as collaged text and images.’
- ‘It was a nice sword, too: stainless steel covered with a coat of gold leaf.’
- ‘The entire panel was then covered in gesso and gold leaf while the image was painted on the sunken surface.’
- ‘Using gold leaf and multiple layers of oil paint and glaze, she explores themes of motherhood, love and loss.’
- ‘The watercolor illustration of men and women and landscapes was framed in gold, and the letters of the title were delicately hammered gold leaf.’
- ‘Whilst I originally planned to make it black & gold using gold leaf, I quickly discovered that this was going to be an impractical way to do things.’
- ‘The interior of this example is covered with gold leaf, emphasizing the sanctity and importance of the objects placed within.’
- ‘The container finally is sealed with resin and can be topped off with a paint job or gold leaf.’
- ‘A small ebony throne, decorated with gold leaf and ivory is a poignant reminder of his extraordinary childhood.’
- ‘Once the frame had been moulded, paper-thin gold leaf was applied to the wood over a thin layer of gesso plaster.’
- ‘The main section of the cross is made of dark-coloured wrought iron, highlighted by pieces of galvanised steel covered in gold leaf.’
- ‘They are sculptures carved out of wood, covered with gold leaf.’
- ‘It doesn't have illustrations but it is very professionally done, using expensive parchment rather than paper and lots of gold leaf.’
- ‘He painted the wooden clock black and decorated it with gold leaf.’
- ‘This means adding depth to each cut so that after the application of gesso, bole, and gold leaf the carved elements still have crisp definition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.