Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the context of online gaming) the practice of playing a game intensively so as to amass stocks of the game's virtual currency or other valuable items used in the game, which can then be sold to other players for real money.‘in just a few years gold farming has become a vast enterprise’
- ‘The gold farming industry may be about playing games, but these companies take their work seriously.’
- ‘It may be that normative disapproval will somewhat deter or curtail gold farming; it is considered bad form by many gamers.’
- ‘There are worries that gold farming will be hit by the financial crisis, but Heeks believes that the industry is likely to grow with rising numbers of online game players.’
- ‘At present, the vast majority of gold farming takes place in developing countries.’
- ‘While this may sound like dystopian fantasy, the passages on gold farming come pretty close to reportage.’
- ‘Addicted gamers can sign up for the program where they try to kick the habit of gold farming, going on epic raids and beating just one more level.’
- ‘Gold farming is nothing new.’
- ‘It is usually stressed that gold farming operations are very small, so that examination of topics such as management practices, liaisons with business partners, and customer service, seem less relevant.’
- ‘The grassroots gold farming industry exists on the periphery of the world of online games known as MMORPG's’
- ‘Gold farming points a way to opportunities for developing countries. As people spend more of their work and leisure time online, the need for related online services will only grow.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.