One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Covered with a thin layer of gold.‘a gold-plated tiepin’
- ‘The Xducer satellite and subwoofer cases have cherry hardwood veneer covers and the speaker post connectors are gold-plated.’
- ‘It was a very pretty sword, all long and shiny with a hilt that appeared to be made of gold, or was at least gold-plated.’
- ‘She lit a long, thin cigarette with a gold-plated lighter.’
- ‘As history progressed the Etruscans and the Romans upgraded their wreaths with precious metals such as gold, silver and gold-plated metals.’
- ‘‘I thought it was gold when it was only gold-plated,’ she raps at one point.’
- ‘The contacts for the USB connector are even gold-plated to ensure better conductivity, according to Razer.’
- 1.1 Likely to prove profitable; secure.‘houses are no longer the gold-plated investment they were’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.