One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An auctioneer's announcement that bidding is closing or closed.
- ‘Going, going, gone will be heard all tomorrow as the hammer comes down at Debenham's on Manningham Lane, Bradford.’
- ‘Joan Livesey's semi will soon be going, going, gone - on TV.’
- ‘By then, his reputation and standing in New York's high society will be going, going, gone.’
- ‘It will be a case of going, going, gone next Tuesday when buy4now.com launches a real time lunchtime auction site.’
- ‘But their early free fall practically ensures that Beltran will be going, going, gone before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.’
- ‘Councillors will be going, going, gone next month when they are put under the hammer as lots in a charity slave auction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.