Definition of goffer in US English:


(also gauffer)


[with object]usually as adjective goffered
  • 1Treat (a lace edge or frill) with heated irons in order to crimp or flute it.

    ‘a goffered frill’
    • ‘The goffering iron was a rolling pin-like round bar that was heated before use.’
    • ‘Tumans could be goffered or pleated and were decorated with pompons made from color silk or gold threads.’
    • ‘The goffering iron was made in France, then England.’
    • ‘After the washing came the drying and then ironing, goffering, and crimping before the laundry process was complete.’
    • ‘The body of the robe was of zero velvet, goffered, with a square pelerine of solferino poil de chevre amidships.’
    1. 1.1as adjective goffered (of the gilt edges of a book) embossed with a repeating design.
      • ‘Full leather, blind stamped and tooled, goffered edges in gold.’


  • An iron used to crimp or flute lace.


Late 16th century: from French gaufrer ‘stamp with a patterned tool’, from gaufre ‘honeycomb’, from Middle Low German wāfel (see waffle).