One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in eastern Asia, especially India) a warehouse.
repository, cache, store, storage place, storeroom, storehouse, warehouse, depotView synonyms
- ‘The investment cost can be retrieved by selling the buildings and godowns once the project is completed.’
- ‘Those East End thoroughfares like East India Dock Road were full of commercial stores and warehouses and godowns.’
- ‘The city's skyline was alight with fires rising from timber godowns and warehouses.’
- ‘Random checks on departmental stores and godowns will bring the skeletons out of the cupboard.’
- ‘He said the Federation had initiated a number of steps for construction of godowns and providing warehousing facilities to meet the demand for storage space.’
Late 16th century: from Portuguese gudão, from Tamil kiṭaṅku, Malayalam kiṭaṅṅu, or Kannada gadaṅgu ‘store, warehouse’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.