- informal name for Higgs boson
- ‘He ventures into vast underground laboratories in Switzerland where they are trying to prove the existence of the 'God particle' and speaks to an American geneticist who believes there is a God gene which predisposes some people to have religious or spiritual beliefs.’
- ‘The Large Hadron Collider's attempts to find the God Particle have fallen upon a series of unlikely catastophes which have prompted some physicists to speculate that the creation of a Higg-Boson particle is so much in violation of the laws of nature that it is sending waves back through time to prevent itself from being created.’
- ‘So important is this mysterious substance that it has been called the "God Particle".’
- ‘The questions won't change and the physicists will never discover the God particle.’
- ‘When I was studying theoretical physics at university the Higgs Boson, or 'God Particle', was a hot topic.’
1990s: from "The God Particle", the title of a book on the Higgs boson by the American physicist Leon M. Lederman (b.1922).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.