Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- informal name for Higgs boson
- ‘So important is this mysterious substance that it has been called the "God Particle".’
- ‘The questions won't change and the physicists will never discover the God particle.’
- ‘When I was studying theoretical physics at university the Higgs Boson, or 'God Particle', was a hot topic.’
- ‘He ventures into vast underground laboratories in Switzerland where they are trying to prove the existence of the 'God particle' and speaks to an American geneticist who believes there is a God gene which predisposes some people to have religious or spiritual beliefs.’
- ‘The Large Hadron Collider's attempts to find the God Particle have fallen upon a series of unlikely catastophes which have prompted some physicists to speculate that the creation of a Higg-Boson particle is so much in violation of the laws of nature that it is sending waves back through time to prevent itself from being created.’
1990s: from "The God Particle", the title of a book on the Higgs boson by American physicist Leon M. Lederman (1922–).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.