One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A column-shaped cell found in the respiratory and intestinal tracts, which secretes the main component of mucus.
- ‘In the large proximal airways, goblet cells secrete mucus, which traps deposited particles and is then propelled upwards by ciliated cells to be either expectorated or swallowed.’
- ‘Ocular mucins are secreted by conjunctival goblet cells and epithelial cells of the ocular surface and by the lachrymal glands.’
- ‘The beating movement of the cilia helps to shift upwards and outwards any foreign particles which adhere to a layer of mucus secreted from interspersed goblet cells.’
- ‘Although human airway smooth muscle is not sympathetically innervated, other cells in the airways that may impact airway function are goblet cells and mucus glands.’
- ‘In addition, histologically malignant glandular structures lined by simple nonciliated columnar cells with goblet cells were found clustered in the center of the tumor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.