One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- Australian term for monitor (sense 4 of the noun)
- ‘Often done in the ‘X-ray’ style, unique to Australia's Top End, they depict barramundi, turtles, goannas and wallabies.’
- ‘They are also prey, when smaller, to other animals such as feral pigs, goannas, turtles, barramundi, sea eagles and even other crocodiles.’
- ‘A long time ago, probably before the arrival of man, Queensland's Darling Downs was home to some big animals - two tonne wombats, giant kangaroos, goannas as long as buses and marsupial lions.’
- ‘The sculptures contrast with the pressed earth brick and rusted iron used in the main structure, natural materials in keeping with the building's reference to the totemic animal of the area, the spiky-tailed goanna.’
- ‘One of these is a slimy reptile - the other is a goanna.’
Mid 19th century: alteration of iguana.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.