The area just in front of a goal in soccer, lacrosse, or hockey.
- ‘Then Ged Smith delivered another peach of a corner into the goalmouth.’
- ‘The ref had run into the goalmouth signalling a free kick but I don't know where they took it from.’
- ‘County were on top in the first half but never looked entirely comfortable and reverted to their old ways of squandering chances even given the mitigating factor of the very muddy goalmouths.’
- ‘Despite pressing for much of the second half it was Knockmay who got a fortuitous goal in a goalmouth scramble.’
- ‘The corner is taken with similar verve and there is a goalmouth scramble where Arendse is unable to gather.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.