One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Exceed the limits of what is reasonable or acceptable.
go over the top, go to extremes, go overboard, not know when to stopView synonyms
- ‘When she challenges him he admonishes her for going too far, for crossing the limits, for not respecting boundaries.’
- ‘Lucas went too far with the wizardry, creating an unpalatable film.’
- ‘Some of his comments were justified but the article went too far when it suggested that the road was built was to accommodate developers.’
- ‘While protecting his position was admirable, Burke often went too far and unnecessarily upset Nine.’
- ‘Some of the purists dedicated to preserving the Art Deco style intact thought she sometimes went too far, but Blackwell let her do as she pleased.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.