One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to express angry rejection of someone or something.
- ‘But as far as I am concerned, all those fancy words can go to hell for this is where I love and long to be.’
- ‘My feelings can go to hell; I'm assured that the rest of me is going there anyway.’
- ‘As long as he can show his personal badge of aerobic involvement, the environment, we may presume, can go to hell.’
- ‘Whosoever is offended by its statements must pack and go to hell!’
- ‘I know I was being slightly irrational, but at this point logic could go to hell as far as I was concerned.’
- ‘Enough of all of that, for me work will not exist for the next few days, self preservation has taken over and they can go to hell.’
- ‘My knee is jiggling under the desk, my focus has vanished and this flier I'm working on can go to hell.’
- ‘She has the unbelievably rare quality of being able to tell you how go to hell when needed.’
- ‘I asked him to leave the room, put on the rest of my clothes, knocked on his office door, told him to go to hell, and left.’
- ‘Bobby will come in for severe criticism from the press later, but they can all go to hell.’
- ‘Yesterday, he threatened to boycott today's proceedings and told the judge to go to hell.’
- ‘I wish I didn't need his money and I could tell him to go to hell but truth is, without his donation they wouldn't be able to go to school camp.’
- ‘In his arms, her form captured in his cold blue eyes, she was home, safe and the world could go to hell for all it mattered to her.’
- ‘He told the judge to go to hell, declared he won't be coming back and complained once again about life as a detainee.’
- ‘Sometimes I get mail from extremist religious people who think I should go to hell.’
- ‘So as far as I am concerned your unhappily married personage can go to hell.’
- ‘We must also stop granting planning permission for major developments with huge car parks on the basis that everyone has a car and the rest of us can go to hell.’
- ‘They simply want what they want and God can go to hell for all they care if he stands in the way of what they want.’
- ‘He told them to go to hell since he could afford a funeral and consolation banquet for his brother at a much lower sum.’
- ‘Lengthy as it is, this method at least makes it less likely that you will cast a vote for someone who thinks you should go to hell.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.