One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be completely lost or wasted; fail utterly.‘they didn't want to see their investment go down the toilet’
- ‘I was involved in a technical support problem that's clearly going to go down the toilet.’
- ‘Frankly, our judgment calls seem to be going down the toilet.’
- ‘There's your last vestige of freedom going down the toilet.’
- ‘A lot of money going down the toilet, you could say.’
- ‘It could easily all go down the toilet tomorrow.’
- ‘Year-on-year growth went down the toilet, dropping 24.4 per cent.’
- ‘His sweetheart spent the rest of the night retching into the loo and the relationship went down the toilet, too.’
- ‘They didn't want to see their investment go down the toilet.’
- ‘Alas, the lead singer's attempts to persuade him to remove his shirt for the ladies went down the toilet.’
- ‘They are not saying that your investments are gone down the toilet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.