One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Express wild excitement or anger.‘your kids will go ape over these Popsicles!’
mad, crazy, insane, out of one's mind, hysterical, beside oneself, frenzied, crazed, demented, maniacal, manic, frantic, wound up, worked up, raving, wildView synonyms
- ‘He went ape when he netted against his former club ten minutes from time after he flicked the ball up with his left foot and rammed it into the net with his right.’
- ‘Charlie went ape, he hurled the planter at the lounge door, the wood splintered, cracked.’
- ‘In a desperate bid to regain his ascendancy he threatened their actual incomes; and the party room went ape.’
- ‘When the reactionaries saw that issue they went ape.’
- ‘Aileen is played by Charlize Theron in a performance that everybody's going ape over, and it's easy to see why.’
- ‘Barney brought Ronnie over and the fans went ape.’
- ‘He will go ape and beat his opponents down.’
- ‘Mind you, most of Europe went ape over the election, and it doubled my fun.’
- ‘Kelly went ape, ridiculed such a notion and sent the man packing from his premises.’
- ‘It was a hit, but people didn't exactly go ape over it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.