Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small racing car with a lightweight or skeleton body.→ go-cart
- ‘The first time I raced was in a go-kart at age 8.’
- ‘Numerous other activities taking place during the day include 4x4 off-road rides, trade stands, go-karts and motor tests.’
- ‘‘I started racing go-karts at age eight and that was when I started working on cars,’ Green says on his Web site.’
- ‘They are referred to as go karts, go carts, go-karts, shifter karts, gokarts and many other differently spelled variations.’
- ‘Oh yes, go-karts, boats, been all sorts of cars, so this was where I found I could play with big horsepower and be safe.’
- ‘When I started racing, I did really well in go-karts and saw I had the talent to do it.’
- ‘In all, he competed in only 23 car races between go-karts and F1.’
- ‘The Sonoma track offers a diverse calendar of racing events, from go-karts to motorcycles, drag racing, stock cars and sports cars.’
- ‘McMurray started racing go-karts at 10 and quickly established a winning habit, capturing four U.S. titles.’
- ‘He used cameras mounted on go-karts and computer-graphic imagery.’
- ‘There will be classic and vintage cars, racing cars, go-carts, bikes, trucks, service vehicles and just about anything else with wheels.’
- ‘Green's father, David, is a former drag racer who started his sons in go-karts and late models.’
- ‘My 6-year-old son Dominic and I have been spending as much time as possible in our go-karts.’
- ‘That ability dates to when he was 5, running laps in a go-kart as his dad timed him.’
- ‘I've played around with some go-karts here and there, but nothing to speak of.’
- ‘He also covered motocross, powerboats, touring cars and go-karts, but F1 was his major arena.’
- ‘As the swarm of go-karts completes its final warm-up lap and hurtles across the starting line, the race is on.’
- ‘I've been brought up racing go-karts back home in England.’
- ‘One of these houses remained empty for years (the speculation was that it was haunted following the mysterious death of the owner), and had the perfect drive for racing go-karts, bikes and skateboards.’
- ‘I grew up on a farm and I was an only child and my parents ran a road construction company, my dad used to build little go-karts for me, so I raced a lot of go-karts and dirt bikes when I was growing up.’
1950s: kart, alteration of cart.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.