Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Knowledge of spiritual mysteries.
- ‘While we see gnosis and fulfilment of will, they see the blessings of God.’
- ‘His theological opponents, the Encratites and advocates of some radical forms of gnosis, taught that a celibate ascetic lifestyle was mandatory for Christians.’
- ‘Situated in the transcendent state of absolute gnosis, Mangatramji expressed esoteric wisdom in terms of which freedom from human limitation is experienced at the deepest level of being.’
- ‘The wisdom embodied in a Christian practice is not gnosis, available only to enlightened ones who decode hidden mysteries.’
- ‘But atheism - flatly stating ‘There is no God,’ full stop, no room for a shadow or a shade of a doubt, makes a claim for absolute knowledge - gnosis.’
- ‘That's what I base certainty on - gnosis, I suppose - knowing through experience.’
- ‘The only salvation is knowledge, gnosis (inner, divine illumination).’
- ‘This is a gross oversimplification, I think, but it lays the groundwork for potential gnosis through these horror-inspired ascending spirals of identity and awareness.’
- ‘I think it induces a state of gnosis in me, probably through some sort of synaesthesic experience.’
- ‘Gnosticism is the false gnosis that Paul and John both addressed in their letters to the early churches.’
- ‘For me, the big issue (and it's been touched upon already) is simple - is your knowledge getting in the way of your gnosis?’
- ‘It matters little whether a person is able to list herself as a believer or unbeliever, an atheist or a theist, a being of gnosis or of a-gnosis.’
- ‘Submitting to the Lord's will, the mortal is blessed with all virtues and gnosis and he obtains honor in the Lord's court.’
- ‘Gnosis changes you - that's what makes it gnosis.’
- ‘A profession is a calling to praxis, not to gnosis.’
- ‘This is the saving gnosis which the Gnostics sought.’
- ‘Yet it is Dharma by which the seeker of truth can evolve to gnosis.’
- ‘This I have hoped would boost their strength and I have even gone to the length of stipulating that they should have the ability to absorb free floating gnosis to boost their own powers’
- ‘The Magick is more about direct experience and gnosis and the theories that arise from those experiences.’
- ‘The celibate may choose to use prayer for the release of energy during gnosis and the sex magician uses the act of intercourse as a conduit.’
Late 16th century: from Greek gnōsis knowledge (related to gignōskein know).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.