Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A synthetic compound that is a nonselective systemic herbicide, particularly effective against perennial weeds.
- ‘Applying glyphosate to perennial grasses before a killing frost or after plants green up in the spring will cause injury.’
- ‘The U.S. and Colombian governments insist the fumigations, which use the herbicide glyphosate, are safe.’
- ‘Net returns may be greater than those from conventional herbicide systems due in part to the relative prices of glyphosate and other herbicides.’
- ‘For some 30 years, however, the herbicide glyphosate has kept morning glories quite effectively out of farm fields.’
- ‘Kill weeds with glyphosate herbicide, pull them by hand, or chop them with a hoe or mattock and rake them up.’
- ‘Non-selective herbicides such as glyphosate and glufosinate aid in broadening the spectrum of weeds controlled.’
- ‘If you must use weed killers, try a pre-prepared systemic herbicide containing glyphosate.’
- ‘Because glyphosate is a systemic, broad-spectrum herbicide, its effects in the environment can be far reaching.’
- ‘The sprayed chemical is based on the compound glyphosate which can damage the human digestive system, central nervous system, lungs and blood.’
- ‘The chemical used was the herbicide glyphosate, which when sprayed on crops does untold damage to the environment.’
- ‘Roundup Ready is designed to provide plant resistance to the herbicide glyphosate.’
- ‘Application of glyphosate to small perennials often controls existing foliage, but regrowth occurs later in the growing crop.’
- ‘Imagine then that some genetic modifier gets the idea that you could suppress the weed in crops with glyphosate if the crops themselves had been engineered to be immune to the weedkiller.’
- ‘Remember that glyphosate is a non-selective herbicide.’
- ‘The extent of adverse long-term health effects from increased consumption of compounds like glyphosate cannot be predicted.’
- ‘We are conducting more research to determine if this is due solely to the glyphosate or to the combination of glyphosate and ammonium sulfate.’
- ‘It is important to distinguish between the active herbicide glyphosate and its commercially available formulations.’
- ‘A common chemical used to control weeds is glyphosate.’
- ‘He recommended farmers decrease their reliance on glyphosate and rotate herbicide types to prevent ryegrass developing resistance.’
- ‘Alternatives to using glyphosate on weeds are: using a line trimmer or brush cutter, hand pulling weeds, steam or hot water treatment.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.