One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The simplest naturally occurring amino acid. It is a constituent of most proteins.
- ‘All of these silks are composed of protein chains in which the amino acids glycine, alanine, and serine dominate.’
- ‘Also, a combination of the amino acids glycine, alanine and glutamic acid can relieve symptoms of prostatitis.’
- ‘The overall photorespiratory cycle is also linked to amino acid metabolism in that glycine, serine, glutamate, and glutamine are metabolized at high rates.’
- ‘These are the proteins cysteine, glycine, glutamic acid and the antioxidant metal selenium.’
- ‘The first five amino acids obtained were glycine, proline, threonine, glycine, and threonine.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek glukus ‘sweet’ + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.