One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The presence of glucose in the blood.
- ‘There are recommendations about the target levels for glycaemia, blood pressure, and lipids in the treatment of patients with type 2 diabetes.’
- ‘Efforts should therefore be made to normalise glycaemia when diabetes is first diagnosed.’
- ‘Also, the effects of glycaemia and albuminuria, as well as of high density lipoprotein cholesterol, triglycerides, and electrocardiographic findings, could be taken into account, providing a more valid risk table.’
- ‘Firstly, the relation between glycaemia and incidence of diabetes is non-linear, with the risk threshold coinciding with the onset of pre-diabetes.’
- ‘The only identified source of heterogeneity was a tendency for trials with a longer duration to be associated with a larger difference in control of glycaemia between pump and injection therapy and a smaller difference in insulin dosage.’
Early 20th century: from glyco- + -emia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.