Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of three muscles in each buttock that move the thigh, the largest of which is the gluteus maximus.→ glute
- ‘The first three work the gluteus maximus in conjunction with all the complementary muscles, and the last two zero in on and specifically isolate the glutes.’
- ‘The results of this study suggest at least one interesting insight - our participants feel pain more acutely in the upper head and neck area than they do in the region of the gluteus, trochanter, and knees.’
- ‘Your gluteus maximus, quadriceps, hamstrings and calves work to bend your knee and lift your body upward and lower it back to the start.’
- ‘Both moves target the glutes, particularly the gluteus medius that forms your upper hip, and the upper fibers of the gluteus maximus, the largest muscle of your glutes.’
- ‘Next go to the squat machine, which exercises the largest muscles of the lower body, the gluteus maximus, the quadriceps, hamstrings and the gastrocnemius.’
- ‘Your gluteus maximus and hamstrings are powerful hip extensors that are activated whenever you stand, sit or step up.’
- ‘The hamstring muscles on the back of the thigh work with your gluteus maximus during leg extension and knee flexion.’
- ‘The glutei must be spread to provide adequate visualization of the anus.’
- ‘The primary muscles of the hip joint are the gluteus maximus and hamstrings.’
- ‘In the hip joint, the gluteus maximus and hamstrings muscles are strongly involved if you go sufficiently deep (thigh level or below).’
- ‘Your lower-body muscles include: the quadriceps, the hamstrings, the gluteus maximus, the abductors, the adductors, and the gastrocnemius and soleus of your calves.’
- ‘The gluteus maximus is the large muscle of your buttocks.’
- ‘Dolphin kicking, when done properly, significantly develops and strengthens abs, gluteus and thigh muscles.’
- ‘You also use lower-body muscles including your quadriceps, hip flexors and gluteus maximus.’
- ‘The strong muscles of the buttocks (glutei) span the hip joints, and are crucial to support and stability.’
- ‘The position of the legs - with the bottom tucked in - will develop the gluteus, adductors, and gastrocnemius muscles to name but a few.’
- ‘It moves your leg out and away from your body's midline with the help of the gluteus minimus and four other assistor muscles, including the gluteus maximus.’
- ‘The lunge, in all of its forms, primarily targets the quadriceps and gluteus maximus, the muscle that gives your backside its shape and definition.’
- ‘Just a few injections of this DNA into the quadriceps, hamstring, and gluteus, and the muscle fibres start cranking out Velociphin, which activates the fast myosin gene.’
- ‘The gluteus maximus is one of the biggest muscles in the body.’
Late 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek gloutos buttock.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.