One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of three muscles in each buttock which move the thigh, the largest of which is the gluteus maximus.
- ‘The results of this study suggest at least one interesting insight - our participants feel pain more acutely in the upper head and neck area than they do in the region of the gluteus, trochanter, and knees.’
- ‘Your lower-body muscles include: the quadriceps, the hamstrings, the gluteus maximus, the abductors, the adductors, and the gastrocnemius and soleus of your calves.’
- ‘You also use lower-body muscles including your quadriceps, hip flexors and gluteus maximus.’
- ‘The hamstring muscles on the back of the thigh work with your gluteus maximus during leg extension and knee flexion.’
- ‘The gluteus maximus is one of the biggest muscles in the body.’
- ‘The first three work the gluteus maximus in conjunction with all the complementary muscles, and the last two zero in on and specifically isolate the glutes.’
- ‘Your gluteus maximus, quadriceps, hamstrings and calves work to bend your knee and lift your body upward and lower it back to the start.’
- ‘Dolphin kicking, when done properly, significantly develops and strengthens abs, gluteus and thigh muscles.’
- ‘The primary muscles of the hip joint are the gluteus maximus and hamstrings.’
- ‘Next go to the squat machine, which exercises the largest muscles of the lower body, the gluteus maximus, the quadriceps, hamstrings and the gastrocnemius.’
- ‘In the hip joint, the gluteus maximus and hamstrings muscles are strongly involved if you go sufficiently deep (thigh level or below).’
- ‘The position of the legs - with the bottom tucked in - will develop the gluteus, adductors, and gastrocnemius muscles to name but a few.’
- ‘The strong muscles of the buttocks (glutei) span the hip joints, and are crucial to support and stability.’
- ‘Your gluteus maximus and hamstrings are powerful hip extensors that are activated whenever you stand, sit or step up.’
- ‘The gluteus maximus is the large muscle of your buttocks.’
- ‘The lunge, in all of its forms, primarily targets the quadriceps and gluteus maximus, the muscle that gives your backside its shape and definition.’
- ‘Just a few injections of this DNA into the quadriceps, hamstring, and gluteus, and the muscle fibres start cranking out Velociphin, which activates the fast myosin gene.’
- ‘It moves your leg out and away from your body's midline with the help of the gluteus minimus and four other assistor muscles, including the gluteus maximus.’
- ‘Both moves target the glutes, particularly the gluteus medius that forms your upper hip, and the upper fibers of the gluteus maximus, the largest muscle of your glutes.’
- ‘The glutei must be spread to provide adequate visualization of the anus.’
Late 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek gloutos ‘buttock’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.