One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance present in cereal grains, especially wheat, that is responsible for the elastic texture of dough. A mixture of two proteins, it causes illness in people with celiac disease.
- ‘Wheat flour has a protein called gluten, which forms the elastic strands when moistened and agitated.’
- ‘Of all the gluten grains, wheat gluten has the highest gliadin content.’
- ‘Tutors and students rose to the challenge of devising a special three course menu for people who must exclude a protein called gluten from their diet.’
- ‘The most common food intolerances are wheat or gluten, dairy, corn, soy, eggs and peanuts.’
- ‘As the baker kneads the dough, protein develops into gluten, which gives bread its rising power.’
- ‘Wheat, gluten, and other proteins in food may elicit allergic symptoms.’
- ‘A protein that is part of wheat, gluten is found in wheat, barley and rye.’
- ‘The elastic nature of gluten also holds particles of the dough together, preventing crumbling during rolling and shaping.’
- ‘In celiac disease, the immune system reacts to a protein called gluten found in wheat, barley or rye.’
- ‘Milk neutralizes stomach acid, making it less effective at breaking down proteins including wheat gluten.’
- ‘They suffer from Coeliac disease, which is characterised by an intolerance of gluten, found in wheat and other grains.’
- ‘However, gluten is only one protein found in wheat, rye and barley.’
- ‘It comes from gluten, the insoluble protein in wheat that makes bread dough elastic.’
- ‘In this method, waste protein such as wheat gluten, is combined with water and acid.’
- ‘The disorder occurs in people with a genetic intolerance of gluten, a food protein contained in wheat and other grains.’
- ‘However, it should be considered that most commercial oat products contain wheat flour or gluten.’
- ‘In celiac disease, the immune system targets gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye and barley.’
- ‘Rich in protein and gluten, flours made from these are ideal for hearty breads like Malten's.’
- ‘Staple grains other than wheat have different protein contents, and do not develop gluten as wheat-based doughs do.’
- ‘The primary treatment for celiac disease is the removal of gluten and related proteins from the diet.’
Late 16th century (originally denoting protein from animal tissue): via French from Latin, literally ‘glue’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.