Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A crystalline compound which occurs widely in connective tissue, especially as a component of chitin.
- ‘An example of recurrent mutation in human beings is the ABO blood group, where types A and B are functional alleles that control enzymes that link glucosamine or n-acetyl glucosamine to a common precursor.’
- ‘In addition, experiments were conducted at sea to measure the growth of heterotrophic bacteria in response to amendments of amino acids, protein, N-acetyl glucosamine, and chitin.’
- ‘Estimation of the absolute configuration of glucosamine in lipids A was established as given elsewhere [39, 40].’
- ‘Glutamine is an energy source for enterocytes of the small intestine, helps form nicotinamide for energy transfers and glucosamine for connective tissue, and contributes to purine and pyrimidine nucleotides.’
- ‘Once it reaches the chondrocytes, the cells that produce cartilage, the glucosamine is incorporated.’
- 1.1A synthesized form of this, taken to relieve arthritis pain.
- ‘Examples of herbs include ginseng, ginkgo and echinacea, while examples of other dietary supplements include selenium, glucosamine and SAMe.’
- ‘Others will have to rely on acetaminophen or dietary supplements such as glucosamine, ginger, turmeric or boswellia.’
- ‘The New England Journal of Medicine recently published a trial to examine the effectiveness of glucosamine and chondroitin for pain and arthritis, with fairly inconclusive results.’
- ‘Some evidence suggests that the dietary supplement glucosamine probably improves osteoarthritis symptoms.’
- ‘Some find dietary supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin helpful.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.