Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A crystalline compound which occurs widely in connective tissue, especially as a component of chitin.
- ‘Estimation of the absolute configuration of glucosamine in lipids A was established as given elsewhere [39, 40].’
- ‘Glutamine is an energy source for enterocytes of the small intestine, helps form nicotinamide for energy transfers and glucosamine for connective tissue, and contributes to purine and pyrimidine nucleotides.’
- ‘Once it reaches the chondrocytes, the cells that produce cartilage, the glucosamine is incorporated.’
- ‘In addition, experiments were conducted at sea to measure the growth of heterotrophic bacteria in response to amendments of amino acids, protein, N-acetyl glucosamine, and chitin.’
- ‘An example of recurrent mutation in human beings is the ABO blood group, where types A and B are functional alleles that control enzymes that link glucosamine or n-acetyl glucosamine to a common precursor.’
- 1.1 A synthesized form of this, taken to relieve arthritis pain.
- ‘Some evidence suggests that the dietary supplement glucosamine probably improves osteoarthritis symptoms.’
- ‘Examples of herbs include ginseng, ginkgo and echinacea, while examples of other dietary supplements include selenium, glucosamine and SAMe.’
- ‘The New England Journal of Medicine recently published a trial to examine the effectiveness of glucosamine and chondroitin for pain and arthritis, with fairly inconclusive results.’
- ‘Some find dietary supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin helpful.’
- ‘Others will have to rely on acetaminophen or dietary supplements such as glucosamine, ginger, turmeric or boswellia.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.